Impact and potential of open source on climate technology

Dear sustainers,

together with Eirini Malliaraki I’m starting a new project to investigate the “Impact and potential of open source on climate technology” and we are looking for your support.

You will find more information about this project here in our blog post:

As part of this study, I am currently developing a tool to automatically process Awesome lists. The goal of this tooling is to make the health state of whole open source ecosystems based on Awesome list. Here you can find the preliminary dataset we plan to create with our tooling:

I see a lot of potential in making the tooling we use so far a generic open-source project that can be applied to different open source ecosystems. That’s why I’m looking for software developers to support us in the study and software development. The whole project is organized purely privately to ensure an independent evaluation. That’s why we rely on volunteers. You can find here the very early stage of our software:

Stay Open
Tobias

As part of this study, I am currently developing a tool to automatically process Awesome lists.

I guess I am obliged to ask the standard NIH question. Which tools did you try and why they didn’t fit your purpose?

And another one - how did you count self-hosted projects and projects on Open Source forges? Because it is kind of strange to read people writing about importance of open ecosystems and infrastructure, but still using proprietary GitHub and AirTables.

There comes a third one. You ask for support, but how do you support the people who would help with your project? How are you supported yourself to work on your project?

The whole project is organized purely privately to ensure an independent evaluation. That’s why we rely on volunteers.

Being private doesn’t ensure that evaluation is independent. It ensures that stakeholders are not disclosed. I don’t think it is quite appropriate to hire people for your private project here if you can’t be open about your startup, grants source and the incentives of investors.

My 0.02 cents. Not a legal advice.

It’s a pity that in this forum now also the culture of accusation has increased so much and unfortunately no real conversation is possible anymore. I will now delete my account.

I just found out I can not delete my account by myself. At @RichardLitt: Please delete my account. I am no longer interested in being part of a community where people are accused for no reason and this is accepted.

Accused of what? I am just stated my own personal opinion. You are free to disagree. Isn’t the point of a discussion to have an opinion and an argument? You can help @RichardLitt and me to understand how to deal with this forum if you take some (any) Code of Conduct and list the points that I broke, so that they officially install it and ban me.

Please just delete my account. By the way, I find it shocking that I can’t do this myself.

You can choose to remove me from the board instead. I do not mind. Wanna me to do this?

@Ly0n know that you are not alone. So I’ve created a poll. If not for yourself, you can make a difference for others.

@abitrolly and @Ly0n - I’m on vacation at the moment, and I come back on Monday. For now, I’ve made this topic private and locked it. I’ll arbitrate and/or delete your account on Monday, as you requested, @Ly0n. I don’t know why you can’t do it yourself.