Hi, I am sharing on this opportunity which opened recently. Full details below:
We are seeking an experienced, creative, and passionate Senior Full Stack Software Developer to join Giga, an initiative to connect every school in the world to the Internet and every young person to information, opportunity and choice. The Senior Software Developer will work with a multidisciplinary team to lead the development of a diverse range of cutting-edge products (such as Project Connect), Open Source data, and tools that will help us achieve the ambitious goal of connecting every school, and every community to the Internet.
- Work closely with the Product Manager and the Data & Tech Lead, to lead the development of the Project Connect, an Open Source platform to map real-time school connectivity globally
- Coordinate the work of vendors and other software partners that are supporting us to build new products, API and distributed infrastructures worldwide
- Build new prototypes and tools that support the current Giga project, as well as scale features in existing ones
- Support and maintain, including documentation, software and products related to Giga
- Work closely with other parts of the team (i.e. blockchain team) to explore collaboration and integration
- Advanced University degree (Master’s or higher) in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in full-stack software development
- Experience in building software prototypes and extensible API
- Experience in interacting with users and collecting user feedback on prototypes
- Familiarity with Agile development environments and practices
- Technical experience in:
- Languages: node.js, ruby, python, bash
- Cloud services: Azure, AWS, etc
- Geospatial DBs, libraries and data structures
- Sql and NoSQL database systems
- Experience with git, pull requests, and continuous integration and deployment
- Ability to learn other coding languages as needed
- Open Source community active
UNICEF has a 75-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The Office of Innovation is a creative, interactive, and agile team in UNICEF. We sit at a unique intersection, where an organization that works on huge global issues meets the startup thinking, the technology, and the partners that turn this energy into scalable solutions.
UNICEF’s Office of Innovation creates opportunities for the world’s children by focusing on where new markets can meet their vital needs. We do this by:
- Connecting youth communities (or more broadly – anyone disconnected or under-served) to decision-makers, and to each other, to deliver informed, relevant and sustained programmes that build better, stronger futures for children.
- Provoking change for children through an entrepreneurial approach – in a traditionally risk-averse field – to harness rapidly moving innovations and apply them to serve the needs of all children.
- Creating new models of partnership that leverage core business values across the public, private and academic sectors in order to deliver fast, and lasting results for children.
The Office of Innovation specifically looks to form partnerships around frontier technologies (like drones and UAVs, blockchain, 21st century skills, urban technologies, new financial tools, wearables and sensors, or 3D-Printing) that exist at the intersection of $100 billion business markets and 1 billion person needs - and to identify how they can grow and scale profitably and inclusively.