Governance WG: Reboot

Thank you, @greggish for shepherding that through submission. I very much appreciate you taking on the lion’s share of the effort, by far.

We have some other things that we can do in the meantime, if we liked - however, given the amount of effort you just put in, I wonder if we should delay the next Governance WG for a few weeks so that you can use your volunteer time for something else?

If not, how about the Thursday after next at 11:00am ET?

Would that be Oct 12th?

I’m available then

1 Like

Yes, that was my thinking.

Hi!

yeah, thanks @greggish for leading the proposal and submission. Let’s cross fingers now :crossed_fingers:

Regarding the meeting, I won’t able to attend (bank holidays here in Spain) but I’ll follow the minutes (if any :sweat_smile:)

Cheers,

Would love to meet Thu Oct 12th at 11AM Eastern, so we keep the governance glossary/guide/etc fresh in our minds even as we’re busy with the rest of life.

Between attending Monktoberfest the past couple of days (highly recommended), and being at Community Over Code (formerly ApacheCon) this week, I’m hoping to have some new ideas, and certainly new energy to try to work on organized governance docs of many stripes.

1 Like

Great. I’ve scheduled the call: Launch Meeting - Zoom should work. Happy to send a Calendar invite if anyone wants one. Javi, we’ll ensure we have minutes. I’ll add them here: SustainOSS Governance WG – April 2023 - Google Docs

1 Like

I have a proposed draft of how I’d structure the individual glossary entries below. While we need to figure out some scope and styles for definitions, I think it’s also important to agree on the rough kind of meta-framework of references to existing definitions, while putting each into context for the reader.

1 Like

I heard back from them — we didnt get it. (i think it was about this; the email didnt specify and i might have lost track?)

I would still like to work in this direction! Maybe later in the month we can reconnect and consider our options.

1 Like

ops! pity news. Well, I would also like to continue working in that proposal! Let’s discuss the next steps in the future.

Cheers,

Thank you for submitting and working so hard on it, in any event, @greggish! Did they have any reasoning why we didn’t get it?

Nope no feedback of course. Isn’t grant-chasing its own reward?

Actually to be serious, I did find it helpful to think through what we’d actually want to do. I have some open questions even aside from this funding. would be eager to think em through with yall.

1 Like

So there’s another grant opportunity here that fits the bill for the governance guide, except the focus isn’t OSS but data. Same patterns apply, though, and I’ve been working with a similar group (also verrrry slowly) on the same kind of project. I may look into recycling our proposal from last year for this. Let me know if you might like to discuss further (even though the focus is data not software).

1 Like

Up to you! I was minimally present in the last round, but if you’d like more of a lift for this one I can allocate more time.

Looks nice! Data governance is also an interesting topic, I see that they also consider work around datasets (some works from my side: ModelSet and HFCommunity). I can also give a hand on this :saluting_face:

Hello,

I’m not sure averyone here is aware of Eclipse OS-Gov | projects.eclipse.org project which mean to reboot the work done on the IEEE Open Source Software Porject Governance WG ideas.

You’ll need to apply for a personal eclipse.org account (free) to be able to join in.

Best regards,

2 Likes

Relatedly, if there is interest in using FOSS Foundations metadata directory to model, capture, or analyze some sort of structured descriptions of actual governance models in use, I’d love to add that.

I’m working on a simplistic openAPI for general read-only use as well, so we can treat the main metadata categories as proper datasets, while still allowing simple PR editing by practicioners from the various foundations. I know another use case is listing foundations for some other governance or academic work as well, which I hope to work on after FOSS Backstage.

• Shane
1 Like

I’m curious - what is the need for an API? Is there some dataset you can’t integrate with without it?

Heh, Andrew from ecosyste.ms asked for an OpenAPI, plus I figure I can use openapi for schema definitions and building linting tools from to ensure our datasets are consistent, see:

Note that the “API” is merely “GET this URL, you’ll get this schema’d yml/json/whatever file back” for now, no actual server on my end.

1 Like

Right! So this is just a JSON file hosted somewhere people can cURL it? Sounds good to me. Jonah Duckles and I are planning on working on something similar, here: GitHub - orgmycology/scienceosslandscape: A landscape diagram of Open Source organizations in Science. Might be good to combine forces.

Yes, absolutely. At minimum I’d love for FOSSFoundation info to be the hub to lookup foundation organizational data. I’d also like to see what other research topics would be worth adding there directly linked to foundation models, vs. building them elsewhere. Also, love the landscape idea, I’ve been meaning to figure out the CNCF landscape tooling to use for other projects as well.