Sustain Discourse forum: Encouraging community with Badges

This thread is an extension of this broad discussion about badging systems. This thread focuses on adding badges to the Sustain Discourse forum, not generally all projects or all communities.

I have a few specific comments to reply to from the original thread, as well as a pitch for a possible collaboration.

This was the original conversation starter:

Here are my excerpt replies:

While it is helpful to acknowledge availability of budget, I think at this point we should steer away from mixing money with volunteer work until there is more clear governance documentation about Sustain OSS. A funded join effort is not something (I think) we are equipped to do at this point.

I admit I got carried away by wishful thinking in the last thread too. So, if we are securely privileged enough to pursue this as a joint volunteer collaboration, we can work together as colleagues and peers to organize some sort of deliverable or outcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is anyone else interested in a 50 minute conversation to explore collaborative work?

I am not a designer. But I feel like if we have 3-4 folks interested and willing to help out with this, we try to facilitate an inter-Working Group collab. That could include exploration and brainstorming on what collaborative work is actually useful to produce.

1 Like

:100:

Iā€™m in. @Erioldoesdesign @rachel_norfolk?

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m in. Timing might be fun but letā€™s try

3 Likes

Yup! Iā€™m up for this convo!

2 Likes

Super! I put together a meeting date/time poll here:

Please fill out this poll by Friday, 22 May and I will set up a call once I have a few responses.

1 Like

Hi folks, there is one common date/time standing out so far in the poll:

3 June 2020 @ 16:00 UTC

I think itā€™s likely to happen then. I created a calendar invite and sent it to @jdorfman, @rachel_norfolk , and @Erioldoesdesign. If anyone else would like a calendar invite, please ask here or send me a message!

Some time zone conversions:

• US Pacific: 09:00
  • US Eastern: 12:00
  • London: 17:00

I am happy to facilitate. I can put together a draft agenda here before the call. :slightly_smiling_face: Looking forward to talking with yā€™all!

2 Likes

:pray: please and likewise =)

2 Likes

Hey folks, looking forward to chatting in an hour! :raised_hands: Sorry for a late agenda, but here is how I was thinking to structure our conversation today:

1. Explore personal interests and motivations for a collaborative project
  2. Define a short-term scope to produce some sort of agreed deliverable
  3. Map out a tentative plan for how to move forward after we meet

This is what I am thinking but of course, open to feedback and suggestions. I am hoping for todayā€™s call to be more like a conversation than a work meeting. I think this will be fun and I am pretty sure we are all volunteering on this. So letā€™s make today an exploration, and figure out where we go next. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be there, but Iā€™m extremely low spoons/energy today so Iā€™ll likely be quiet - thatā€™s not indicative of my general enthusiasm for this project though

2 Likes

Hi folks! Just a brief update. Here are the notes from our meeting. I spent time after we met reorganizing and refactoring the notes, so if you last saw them when we met, might be helpful to take a quick scroll through here:

We can use this thread later to coordinate a follow-up call for our collab. Right now, Iā€™m focusing on the new discussion thread. Later, I will kick off a new meeting poll when I have a little more bandwidth.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and participation today! :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks to the folks on the call! I love these opportunities for collaboration :bouquet:

Iā€™m gonna re-post this thread into the Open Source Design discourse to encourage/signal boost those designers interested in this kind of project/topic.

2 Likes

Thank you all. Sorry I had to bail early.

1 Like

Great work (as always). Left some comments. No action items.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the post on open source designā€™s discourse: https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/t/open-source-design-project-with-sustain-oss-badges/1843/4

Iā€™ll make sure I ā€˜mergeā€™ ideas into our working google doc :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you @Erioldoesdesign! Since you got to this first, I think we can have the open discussion about badges over in that thread to avoid repetition. Iā€™ll chime in over on the O.S.D. Discourse soon with some feedback. :smile:

1 Like

Is this project still open?

2 Likes

Yup! weā€™re just working across the open source design forum and here because of the ā€˜twoā€™ stakeholders of the project. Thereā€™s an update from @jwf here: https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/t/open-source-design-project-with-sustain-oss-badges/1843/8

1 Like

Great! i will check it out

2 Likes

@isaaczaraone thing that would be great as me and Justin try and push this forward, is you (as a designer) taking a look at the current sustain oss discourse badges and letting us know what you think from your design perspective, you can thinking about:

• How they look
  • Consistency
  • What they are trying to help users to achieve/do
  • What is missing

You can find badges on your profile page so the URL should be: https://discourse.sustainoss.org/u/yourusernamehere/badges

2 Likes

Noted, @Erioldoesdesign I will kindly check them out.