Experimental ideas - Part 3: Benefits

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

I created a separate google docs for the benefits part. Anyone, please feel free to contribute:

If necessary, we can also move it to Github.

Most important benefits fall under “Society” level. This means that no business can “directly” get these benefits, they would be too vague for individual organizations.

What I’m more interested in is to consult governments to leverage these benefits.

Although I don’t want to go too fast, maybe it’s better to give an idea what I think would be the most efficient way:

1. Research: Create a “business case” by studying these benefits (what would we gain if we invest in open source?)
  2. Prototype: Create a prototype that distributes money to (open source) projects based on their usage / success (a ranking system)
  3. Open source tax: Push / convince governments to introduce “open source tax” that can be collected from software purchases. And distribute the collected money by the results of the ranking system.

Of course there are many details to be discussed for each item (why and how) but hopefully we will get there.

I believe if we are on the right track, we should be able to find some institutions that can help us with the funding, both for the “research” and the “prototype”. Do you think that would be possible?

1 Like