Seeking examples or models for "equitable elections" for open communities

Hi Governance WG friends,

I’m working with a global open community that is just starting to define their overall governance framework, and the question we are wrestling with is how to seat a governing body (e.g. board or council) with “equitable” representation from the community, where we are defining equity primarily around gender, geography and/or social minoriites.

My question for you: might any of you be able to point me in the direction of any work done on constraint models for elections that help avoid the “all the best-known loudest guys get elected” class of pathologies?

I have looked at CommunityRules and done a bunch of searching, but haven’t found anything that really seems to get at this issue, but I can’t imagine solid work hasn’t been done.

A baseline example of the constraint models I’m seeking is an election/selection model designed to seat representatives equitably across e.g a gender spectrum, i.e, a balance of female/male/non-conforming representatives.

I realize there are many kinds of challenges around any model that seeks to modulate identity traits, but before we give up, I very much want to know what has been tried, successfully or otherwise :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance if you can share any links or pointers.

5 Likes