Governance Guidance Working Group

Hi everyone,

we are happy to announce the creation of a new Working Group about governance :partying_face:

The new working group is called Governance guidance and joins efforts from the Governance Readiness and Principles of Governing OSS Working Groups. In the last meeting at the Governance Readiness working group (check meeting notes here), it was decided to close them and create a new one aligning efforts.

The purpose of this working group is to facilitate the elicitation of governance models in Open Source projects. To this aim, we will focus our efforts on the elaboration on principles on governance and the definition of a matrix of questions to ask frequently (joining ideas from previous WGs).

@greggish and I are the bottom-liners of this working group. @GeorgLink is also involved in the initiative. Of course, anyone is more than welcome. If you are interested, contact any of us.

2 Likes

This is exciting news @jlcanovas! :tada: I might be able to contribute some knowledge to this.

Do you want me to rename the category ā€œGovernance Readinessā€ to ā€œGovernance Guidanceā€?

Also, feel free to update this pinned post for the category:

Hi @jwf, you will be more than welcome! :slight_smile:

It would be awesome, but we thought that that category could be named ā€œGovernanceā€. This way, it could collect all working lines about the topic, what do you think?

Cheers,

2 Likes

Makes sense to me!

Done. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Just reading through the 2021 summary report and I noticed a checklist of questions in a different section ā€“ in Building a Community, specifically p 15-17 ā€“ that we might want to cross-reference with our question set and potentially augment accordingly.

I can try to get to this in a bit, unless anyoneā€™s already done it?

Ey @greggish! good point, some of those elements could enrich the matrix. I donā€™t think anyone has addressed it before, so feel free to go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To clarify, is this the checklist that @jlcanovasā€™s working group created before merging the two governance working groups together?

I think it would be excellent to combine the matrix and the checklist into one cohesive framework ā€“ where both enrich the other.

As far as I understand, the checklists on pages 15-17 are coming from different working groups and have not been merged with ours.

OK I had 20 minutes so I went through them and cross-referenced our grid. We already had several of these in some form, but quite a few I didnā€™t find clearly represented.

These are some questions that Iā€™m not immediately sure where to place in the grid. I could guess, but I wonder what you all would think

• How do you plan end-of-life before the first commit?
  • Is there a good security strategy?
  • Is continuous integration continuous deployment (CICD) set up from the start?
  • Is there a public roadmap?
  • Are there scaling processes delineated?
  • What is the bus factor of the organization?
  • Are there tutorials or walk-throughs for new users?
  • Is there a delineation of roles, and how new roles are created?
  • Are there venues to talk to the community about what they [?] did, and how they did it, so that people can learn from each other?
  • Is accessibility considered? Are translations?

Thoughts on where each of these should go?

Also, I added this one to Rules under Code but i revised a bit and want to check to see if it resonates:

How will contributions be reviewed ā€“ and approved, revised, or rejected?

And I put this in rules about ā€˜Communityā€™ but not sure:

Are there regular check-ins?

Feedback welcome! We might also want to engage with Erin McKean (@esperluette?) to solicit their perspective?

Perhaps we could consider new sections in the existing governance list, instead of trying to cram new questions into categories that donā€™t fit. What if we added new categories to the governance readiness checklist and moved some of the questions above into these new categories? We might even re-sort old questions too:

• Community & decision-making
  • Diversity, equity, & inclusion
  • ā€œOpenā€ development best practices

I was wondering about reviving the working group for a fixed period to iterate the governance readiness checklist further. It managed to achieve a level of popularity, and perhaps we can leverage that by updating it to be more comprehensive.

This would be my proposal (but happy to discuss any of them, I foresee a rich discussion :smiley:):

• How do you plan end-of-life before the first commit?

Rules - Code

• Is there a good security strategy?

Rules - Project

• Is continuous integration continuous deployment (CICD) set up from the start?

Rules - Code (or Maintainersā€™s Time)

• Is there a public roadmap?

Boundaries - Project (or Rules - Brand)

• Are there scaling processes delineated?

Boundaries - Code (or Maintainersā€™s Time)

• What is the bus factor of the organization?

Monitoring - Code

• Are there tutorials or walk-throughs for new users?

Rules - Community (similar to ā€œhow are newcomers onboarded?ā€)

• Is there a delineation of roles, and how new roles are created?

Rules - Community

• Are there venues to talk to the community about what they [?] did, and how they did it, so that people can learn from each other?

Boundaries - Community (similar to ā€œWhat are our channels/spaces?ā€)

• Is accessibility considered? Are translations?

Boundaries - Community (similar to ā€œWho is welcome in our community?ā€) but also Boundaries - Documentation

Good point Justin! If you refer to the old governance readiness checklist, do you think those categories could be added as orthogonal dimensions? :thinking:

On the other hand, if you refer to the grid, I would bet they should be added as new columns, but @greggish may have a different view. In any case, if added as columns, I think we should check potential overlapping with the ones we already have. Nice point to explore/discuss.