Sustain: General Book List

I’d like to start a general list of good books to read related to code sustainability. I don’t have infinite time or budget, but I realized recently that there are some books I’d like to have on an Amazon Wish List for when I finally do have less of a reading stack, and there’s no reason I can’t make that list public here from the get-go, instead of keeping it to myself.

TLDR: Add books here you think are relevant to this community!

My first book I want to read: Infrastructure: The Social Value of Shared Resources: Frischmann, Brett M.: 9780199975501: Amazon.com: Books. I heard about this recently, and it sounds relevant to a lot of the Digital Infrastructure questions we’re having at the moment. Anyone read it?

2 Likes

Because sustainability is the Economics problem, I would highly recommend Doughnut Economics : Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist: Kate Raworth: 9781847941398: hive.co.uk to get a good intro into the topic with a lot of references. If you’re, like me, think that Economics discipline is too complicated and outdated, and doesn’t solve any of the present problems, because it is a GDP cargo cult, then this book is for you.

1 Like

Thank you for the book recommendation. I’ve added it to my (virtual) bookshelf to pick up when I get around to it.

1 Like

I keep a list like this on Zotero! It’s skewed more toward standards but there’s a lot of economics books/papers, etc that are also applicable to open source: Zotero | Your personal research assistant

2 Likes

Jory, thanks for sharing your Zotero library! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation i have added this to my reading list on kindle. I needed this so much!