Great reads - November 2018 Edition

What a month this has been for open source sustainability. Here is what I have read so far (no order):

Please share what you have been reading. cc @eric @downey @Samson_Goddy @GeorgLink @pia @elioqoshi @XhmikosR

p.s. Just because I link to something doesnā€™t mean I endorse it. I just find them thought provoking and/or interesting.

3 Likes

I recently spoke at TruffleCon on open source sustainability. Iā€™m presenting to an audience of blockchain developers, so the message was directed to that audience. Hereā€™s the video:

3 Likes

Great idea to share reading lists. I will start tracking what I read.

May I include works I wrote?
For example: Open Community Metrics and Privacy | MozFestā€™18 Recap

2 Likes

Absolutely. Plug away.

1. I didnā€™t know you rapped. That is awesome. Please link to your all-time best.
  2. I love this: ā€œethical revenueā€.
  3. :joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTiyh47zFps&t=192
  4. You mention ā€œContributorā€, ā€œMaintainerā€ but your are missing one other important roleā€¦

One of the things on my list to read comes from the Digital Impact Alliance with their outbound reporting from a session at MozFest, Towards A More Gender-Inclusive Open Source Community (report).

1 Like

Another interesting article: Amazonā€™s cloud business is competing with its customers

Jay Kreps, a creator of Kafka and co-founder and CEO of Confluent, told CNBC on Thursday said, Amazon has not contributed a single line of code to the Apache Kafka open-source software.

I posted something on Twitter regarding this and the two responses got me thinkingā€¦

Just because AWS doesnā€™t contribute code back doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t helping the project in another way. Maybe @zahedab can clear the air on this? At MaxCDN, we were a Nginx shop. Our platform was basically a GUI & API layer for a custom version of Nginx we distributed to each PoP. That is how we made money. We didnā€™t contribute code back BUT we did do other things like co-sponsored SPDY support.

FWIW

• I donā€™t endorse the Twitter comments, I just find them interesting
  • I never even heard of Confluent until today and that is because of CNBC looking for a juicy story which happened to be good. So thatā€™s something right? ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
1 Like