The Meaning of 'Tyranny of Openness' with Nathan Schneider

Nathan Schneider, a Professor of Media Studies at CU Boulder. He also runs a new little outfit called Media Enterprise Design Lab. Nathan explains what he means by, The Tyranny of Openness.” We will also discuss Democratic Mediums, Platform Cooperativism, and CommunityRule.

Panelists

@gunner @eric @jdorfman @pia @RichardLitt

Nathan Schneider

University of Colorado Boulder

Quotes

[00:09:43] “You know you’re an Admin or not. Admins can silence people, and you know, have incredible despotic control over voice.”

[00:17:32] “It’s how engineers think. They want the engineered solution, but you know, politics is very good at resisting engineers.”

Show Notes :memo:

3 Likes

I’m trying to speak up wherever a podcast episode brought a positive change or outcome for my community.

I love CommunityRule! We’ve begun really serious governance maturation talks at my organization, and to start the conversation, I pulled each module that applied to our current precedent/tradition based governance structure, and based on those module names and sentence summaries alone I was able to write a very in-depth analysis. We often think of our org in reference to the value that we bring through our workgroups/initiatives/community support, and I was surprised how that barely showed up at all (which makes sense when you’re focusing on governance, but I suppose our brains were defaulting to a certain way of seeing our roles as community leaders).

I can’t share our GOVERNANCE.md, but one day I hope to share GOVERNANCE_v2.md as we move to a more transparent, more openly-collaborative governance model drafted with CommunityRule! I also hope to contribute in the near future, as I was getting some ideas for improving the UX and would like to see more of the module descriptions fleshed out.