Open source public fund experiment - One year review

Cross-posting here as well; you can also check LinkedIn or Mastodon versions.

One year ago, I started a small experiment about funding open source software with the following question:

If you have 100 money, how would you distribute this amount to the entire open source ecosystem?

Every month, I choose three open source projects from the Open Collective platform, calculate their score using the Criticality Score tool and distribute an amount based on the results.

My goals are to trigger more in-depth discussions on using public money to finance the open source ecosystem, how an Agile Public Fund should work, and get in touch with our open source entrepreneurs.

Feel free to check my short article for the details:

For now, here are some quick stats about the last twelve months :point_down:

:moneybag: Including the test run, I invested $2646 in 39 open-source collectives, with one failed payment: Open source public fund experiment - Google Sheets

:medal_sports: The project with the highest score is Zulip, a team chat application, with 0.7932: Zulip - GitHub

:medal_sports: The project with the highest estimated annual budget is Qubes OS, a security-oriented operating system with ~$43K, way above the average: QubesOS - GitHub

:small_red_triangle_down: After the first six months, the average estimated annual budget for all projects was $3667. After a year, that’s now down to $2425. Not even close to an average salary for a single month, let alone a year.

:roll_eyes: Fifteen projects had no prior donations on Open Collective; I was the first to donate.

:bookmark_tabs: The most used license is MIT, with 17 projects.

:test_tube: As a side “marketing” experiment, I used my new Twitter followers to determine the monthly investment amount. I gained ~45 new followers after one year. Considering I’m not super active, that’s not bad, but not a significant boost either. I will now include LinkedIn and Mastodon as well in the following rounds.

:vulcan_salute: I hope to add extra details to the project list and see whether I can improve the Criticality Score. As usual, your feedback is priceless, so don’t hesitate!

2 Likes

Cross-posting; feel free to check LinkedIn or Mastodon posts.

Open source public fund experiment - One and a half years update!

Sponsored by

First, the exciting news: I am delighted to share that I started working with the Open Source Collective and Ecosyste.ms teams on this research and the Open Source Collective is the sponsor of the following updates.

Hopefully more to come on this collaboration, so stay tuned!

Updates

I had a chance to improve the data, process, and algorithms in the last couple of weeks. You can see all the changes on the Open source public fund experiment document.

In summary, I could extend the Criticality Score algorithm with usage metrics from Ecosyste.ms API and apply it to all open source accounts under the Open Collective, so we have a new ranking now! I also made it possible to change the weights of each parameter so that you can try the algorithm by yourself.

Stats

Here are some stats based on the latest data:

Check the article for the “Billion dollar question” intro, detailed updates, and what’s next :point_down:

As usual, your feedback is priceless; don’t hesitate to get in touch with any comments, questions, or ideas :pray: