Sustain OSS India Meetup [Discussion Thread]

Hey Vipul, I can also help and lead in this.

There are a number of folks in the opensourcedesign.net community based in India too. If you want to be connected up and have a design cohort participate :smiley:

Nimisha, Saptak and Milap are three people I would urge you to reach out to specifically!

1 Like

I’ve set up a time at 7:00am ET for thirty minutes on Tuesday the 5th. That should be 4:30 India time.

Please join us at Sustain OSS. PM me your email if you want to be added to the calendar invite.

1 Like

I would love to connect with them! Thanks

Quick Update on an event:

OSI (Open source India: https://www.opensourceindia.in/) is happening this month on 29th and 30th in India. Ping me if anyone is interested from Sustain OSS. I’m trying to add sustain OSS as community partner.

Hello folks, reviving this topic. I recently met many people from the TODO group and @jdorfman at Open Source Summit 2023 NA, which made me hopeful to renew our attempts of doing a SustainOSS India Meetup.

Context. PyCon India will be happening from 29th Sept - 2nd Oct. I have previously volunteered for the conference. I propose hosting a SustainOSS Mixer after conference day one or two at a venue nearby in the evening. Many people will already be in the city to attend the offline event for the first time in 3 years. Very similar to Sourcegraph x SustainOSS Meetup - Open Collective,

Guidance on the agenda, resources, and managing the logistics would be helpful. Already started looking out for partners and sponsors. Let me know what y’all think, and if anyone would be interested in hosting this event in Hyderabad, India, then give me a shout :heart:

Looking forward to this! More details are coming soon.

1 Like

Vipul!

I would still love to make an event in India happen. We dont have an excessive amount of guidance but we can offer whatever support we can. Are you thinking of doing a more casual meetup like the one Justin organised, or more of a ‘fringe’ type event that we put on at State of Open in London a few months back?

Personally, I’m happy to support however I can, if you need some financial support I’m also happy to help putting a request together :v:

2 Likes

Yes indeed, I remember our discussion through the years to get something up, covid being the blocker. I am planning to have a more casual meetup hosted near the conference venue to gauge interest and see who makes it to the event.

Thanks for the offer, will definitely let you know. The conference is finalizing venue at the moment, so will only start planning when they announce.

An update. The meetup planning is underway, and I hope to have the details out soon!

We plan to host the meetup in late September in Hyderabad, India, before or during the PyCon India 2023 conference. If you know folks from India working in OSPO teams, contributors, maintainers, or researchers, then pass along the contact details, and I will be happy to reach out to them!

Thanks and looking forward to it!

1 Like

Hi @vipulgupta2048 , my old friend :P. Just came to know about this effort, and I would definitely love to be a part of this.

1 Like

@vipulgupta2048 I’ve created an event for you under the Sustain collective at Sustain OSS India Meetup - Open Collective

I think you’ve been in touch with @RichardLitt so I assume it’s not news to him but I’m linking him to this comment so he sees it anyways.

Please let us know what other kinds of support you need.

1 Like

Thanks @benjam, for creating the event and for your continued support. Our next step is to use this page and promote the meetup in specific open-source communities and start reaching out to people. I have a few communities that I will be posting in and would appreciate your suggestions for the following.

If you know folks from India working in OSPO teams, contributors, maintainers, or researchers, then pass along the contact details, and I will be happy to reach out to them!

1 Like