The Good Docs WG

15 June Meeting Summary

attending: Chris, Eriol, Erin

Notes:

• problem is that OSS projects need better docs

• one discrete, significant problem is the lack of contributor guides

• we can work on this – some overlap with governance group (Chris to follow up)

• Contributor Guides should reflect all ways of contributing:

• code
    • docs
    • design
    • marketing
    • speakers
    • community work
    • money
  • should be focused on contributor responsibilities use cases:

• to contribute, you need to agree to Code of Conduct, license, etc. (link out as necessary)
    • should have different degrees of background info for different levels of contributors (design contributors might not be familiar with pull requests or licenses)
  • should have templates for process docs

• for future discussion:

• where will this guide live? (maybe The Good Docs Project?)
    • who should be consulted?
    • who will maintain it going forward?
    • who at the Gits (Github, Gitlab) would be a good person to connect with?

Action items:

• Chris to set up repo and invite WG members
2 Likes

This task is in progress

Oh I came across Pa11y in preparation for a testing talk, it’s great!

2 Likes

Hey folks. I dropped the ball on notes when I got pulled into other meetings yesterday. However, I added a short addition to the Sustain 2020 Report draft in the Sustain organizers meeting. I’m sharing the excerpt I added to the Good Docs section of the report here:

This Working Group also remained active since the Sustain 2020 Summit, with meetings occurring roughly once a month since March 2020. While exploring future areas of collaboration, the Good Docs W.G. realized that documentation is an important and critical piece not just to our own Working Group, but also several others. Documentation is often a central part of equitable knowledge-transfer of skills and community norms.

At the time of publication, the Good Docs Working Group is currently exploring ways to support other Sustain OSS Working Groups by bringing a documentation perspective to active conversations already happening in the wider community.

The CHAOSS badging project also came up (cc: @GeorgLink):

We verbally discussed some next steps, but tragically I did not get them down. Some help on highlighting any major points from our meeting is appreciated!

1 Like

The Docs Working Group had our regular meeting again to talk about sustainable open source docs! Here is a quick highlight of what we discussed:

2020-08-17

• Discussed WG focus, areas of focus, revisited goals we identified previously
    • A lot of the things we wanted to do, have already been done or are being done in other communities!
    • This has made it challenging to β€œproduce” new work, even though there are interesting conversations to have on this topic.
  • We also decided to update our public info about the Working Group on the Discourse thread and our Working Group web page. See updated content in our Google Doc notes.
  • Monthly cadence!
    • We affirmed to continue meeting once a month, this time with a recurring notes doc to keep us a little more organized
  • New meeting formats: Instead of driving towards doing new work, what if we made these calls more about sharing and reporting back on the work we are already doing elsewhere?
    • Many members of the Docs WG are parts of other communities doing docs. We could probably learn from each other just by sharing our stories and hearing what other people are working on.

Here are our new meeting notes!