I think there’s more work to be done regarding academic projects and Sustain, and I’d like to start a working group to talk about what we can do.
Specifically, I think it would be great, as the session suggested, to work on these things:
- Best practices for university administration to facilitate open-source software development
- Make and curate a list of initiatives, resources (code for science, 4OSS)
- Make a collection of OSS success stories (eg. user: technology transfer office). I am actively working on this by running a podcast on impactful open source: if you have ideas here, I’d love to hear them and have them on the show.
- Make a vision statement for academic software ecosystem, where do we want to be in 10 years
- Define “research software sustainability”
- Create a checklist for starting successful software project, best practices
Similar work has been done by other WGs as part of Sustain. If this sounds like fun, please sign up for this Doodle Poll for next week.
Thank you! Always happy to discuss further or answer questions on any of this.