CHAOSS and Sustain: A Joint Podcast

Blurb: Today, our episode is a shared podcast between Sustain and CHAOSScast. Along with Richard and Pia, we have Georg Link, Venia Logan, and Brian Proffitt joining us from CHAOSScast. We had the idea to do this special episode because there’s a lot of work happening on sustaining software and understanding the health of our communities, and CHAOSS focuses on what open source development is, how it works, what communities are, and how you can find metrics to figure out how something is. So, we will learn about these metrics they use, the Diversity & Inclusion Badging Program, and the several areas that CHAOSS has to get involved in. Also, we learn about Sustain, how it started, what they do, and find out what Georg says works well for the Sustain community that brought him in. Also, find out where you can get involved in both the CHAOSS community and Sustain community. Download this episode now to find out more!

1 Like

I’m trying to speak up wherever a podcast episode brought a positive change or outcome for my community. This is actually in reference to episode 26 “The Data Behind Open Source Is CHAOSS with @GeorgLink

Thanks for the mention of cauldron.io! I was able to run a one-click analysis of our 50+ repos, and bring them to our maintainers and org leadership. We were able to see quite clearly which repos were healthy (solid number of returning contributors, issues open and closed line graphs closely match) and which ones needed help. There was some skepticism about how actionable this data is, and I think some are worried that the “answer” is more pressure on maintainers. I think the actual answer is marketing the projects, since we can see they have solid user bases who probably think they can’t participate in our “club.” Thanks again for a great podcast! I have one more “backlog” special shoutout!

1 Like

Thank you, Anthony! That’s super kind and awesome of you to say!

Great that Cauldron.io was able to help you out.