Design & UX working group

Adding in a topic for the Design & UX WG.

We had our first meeting on 23rd April (16:00 GMT) and largely discussed what Design & UX OSS sustainability means to each of us and some of our key, personal concerns. We have a notes docs I’ll drop here.

Generally, though, the work of Design/UX + OSS Sustainability was advocacy (OSS <-> Design community both ways), funding, processes, mentoring, resources and structures. Largely things the WG have been grinding on for a while.

We’ll use the #open-design-discussions channel in the Open Collective slack to chat there.
:paintbrush::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

This is awesome. I would like to give start giving badges out to those who show up to meetings. @jwf thoughts?

2 Likes

I love me a positive affirmation badge! Do you need design help in making them :sparkles: pretty?:sparkles:

2 Likes

Because the burnt orange Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 14.26.55 isn’t as lovely as the sustain green brand colour

2 Likes

You read my mind. Please, I hate the default ones. We’re keeping Rin Tin Tin =D

2 Likes

Glad to see this off to a good start. :slight_smile:

Are there any action items that can be done by anyone interested in carrying the conversation forward before May 21st?

1 Like

Action items in the doc you mean?

Yeah. Or in general. Not sure what to do in the intervening time.

Hey Sustain Design & UX folks, we have a meeting booked in this week on Thursday (11.00 EDT, 16.00 BST 17.00 CEST). I can’t edit the meeting invite but here’s the Google doc link for notes:

Any agenda item suggestions plz?

My one is:

  • Let’s talk about documentation and overlap with any/all of the other Sustain working groups.
2 Likes

I (Eriol) took two actions which I started. They were:

  • Guide to getting involved in Open Source as a Designer
  • Advice for Open Source projects about how to get contributions from Designers

I’ve been loosely doing 2ish hour workshops on this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FaBqWNsX4E5tBmB4SOWxIm1TXGME6bbh/view?usp=sharingI absolutely do not think this is the best way to give advice, there’s probably other/better ideas to do this.Would be nice to create a wiki sort of resource for this?

2 Likes

Thought I’d leave an open invitation here for a chat on a Sustain OSS x Open Source Design collab here:

It would be great to have representation from folks involved here, or anyone vaguely interested in community management or game theory.

2 Likes

Hi folx! I took the action item to summarize today’s meeting notes in this thread:

2020 May 21 meeting (notes)

Attendees (x8)

Topics

High-level overviews of what we discussed:

Design Documentation & links with the Documentation WG

  • Documentation is first place where people can decide if they want to get involved
  • Design Documentation
    • User + Developer documentation > Design Documentation
    • Communication norms
    • Information Architecture of Docs
    • (@Erioldoesdesign) What if there was open source design docs like the default code of conducts? Things that are like, copy-a-ble or ‘start your repo with asking for design help’
    • E.g. Memo’s helped with information architecture of docs hub when funded to work on docs and it was well received by the team.
  • What is the Sustain Docs WG focusing on?
    • @ChrisChinchilla is holding office hours on documentation
    • Documenting resources on documentation
    • How to write good docs
  • What are the how-tos that would be useful for new open source designers?
    • How to create and document a pattern library
    • How to make project bugs/issues approachable and inclusive for designers
    • Best practices for design mentorship in open source [?]
    • Best practices for open collaborative design ?

Resource Ideas

  • How to get design work funded
  • How to build context for contributors
  • How to build a (open) roadmap
  • How to engage design/UXers in your open source project
    • Good first issues for Design contributions
    • Where to reach out to designers when a project is nascent. (How do you get designers in before the project starts.)
  • How to get UX help/hiring UX people
  • How to understand user feedback
  • How to run UX/Design Events ?
    • Trainings, Workshops, UX Helpdesk
    • Our Open Source Design conference organisation thread for Fosdem 2020:

Credit & Design in Open Source

  • (@jwf) Aside: Related to Bernard’s point, different demographics have different experiences with receiving appropriate credit for their work
    • Collab: Licensing WG on things like outreach materials about Creative Commons licenses for designers? (might be a stretch…)
    • Often women but also other underrepresented demographics have different experiences with asking for and receiving credit
  • (@jwf) How to talk about Open Design to open source developers
    • “Advocate kit”-esque tool to help build better understanding and context for what goes into Design work and to help the wider development community get more visibility into Design work

How to share Design Work openly

Existing Resources to pull together

  • USABLE Tools
  • OSD
  • SimSec Knowledge base docs
  • OpenDesign

Working Group Page on Sustain Site

  • Purpose
    • Help contribute to a roadmap for how design contributes to open source sustainability
    • How design can help the sustain mindset
    • Defining / providing best practices and guidance on sustainable design
    • Storytelling about example practices
  • Goals:
    • Create a community space for design conversations related to open source!
    • Support projects around usability, design and adoption
    • Share resources
  • Guiding questions
  • Reports and documents
    • @benjam: Not a report or doc but in 2018, 24 Pull Requests added the ability to credit any contribution (24 PRs is @teabass and me)
  • Resources
    • Existing & In Progress
  • How to get involved
    • @jwf: Say hi on this Discourse thread, attend a monthly video meeting?

Action item follow-up

Actions from the last meeting & who (if anyone) can/will take on stuff (not obligatory). Make a list & divvy it up?

(@jwf) Principles of Authentic Participation: Design component for the future of this work? Collab opportunity??

We ran over on time. Will bring it up another time:

2 Likes

x-posted from the open-design-discussion channel on the open collective slack

For our next SustainOSS Design + UX WG meeting I have an agenda item/topic to propose/discuss.

  • Designer + Developer relations - what is needed, observed and can be done about the gaps between these ‘functions’ or ‘jobs’. The corporate world has plenty(?) of advice/resources for this but how does the dynamic play out in OSS and how can it be better sustained?

Raised because I had a great follow up conversation with https://twitter.com/codeekage who I met at the Open Source Africa festival and we talked for an extended period of time about how to build better bridges of understanding between devs+design.The ? after ‘plenty’ is because I see these existing resources as mainly accessible and written for a western, European, American audience and it is less available in other countries not privileged with a certain pov on design

2 Likes