Design & UX working group

Joining now. Been waiting on the other line.

Weā€™ve updated to here: https://newcastleuniversity.zoom.us/my/eriolfox

I got logged out. Is this error from my part?

Sorry for the zoom problems everyone! Weā€™ll sort this problem for the next meetings.

Notes from the meeting are here

The tl;dr is:

We introā€™d, had some zoom problems which now poses the question of where we meet when a zoom link is locked by a host? (See options below)

We then discussed OSCA in-depth with @Peace_Ojemeh @brownie Victory and @isaaczara .

Moving forward

There are two proposals

1. We spend next meeting talking through what @Memo_Es has been working on ā€˜open designā€™

2. We spend meetings creating the resources and working through some of the things that were identified as wespoke about supporting OSCA design efforts. e.g. A session on building an OVIO list of issues, recording a conversation of how to find issues to work on as a designer, how to ask for help as a designer etc.

The actions are:

AP: JWF asked for the book club to be x-posted in other communities: UX Reading Group - #8 by jwf < DONE

AP: Look at where we hold events especially with zoom hosting rights etc.

AP: We need to follow up with Bryan re. Podcast episode. richard.littauer@gmail.com

AP: Eriol will follow up ā€˜Want to webinar github monthly - Phoenix Perry.ā€™

AP: Eriol will follow up Simply secure model - Ask Molly or a sim sec person to come in?

AP: Eriol will post on discourse potential ways forward and what we can focus on

2 Likes

Hey all,I just wanted to check in and notice that I had two calendar invites for the next sustain design & UX meeting - one for today (3rd June) and one for next week (10th June) I think the 10th is the accurate one so just noting that here!

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. See you next week!

1 Like

Just a reminder that we have our Sustain Design and UX call this Thursday at 16.00 UK BST time.

Please see agenda here!

We intend to either:

1. Continue to build on resources that are actively useful for OSCA, Open Source Design & Sustain Design & UX WG which are listed in the notes agenda doc and here:

1. Try to figure out how to manage the org and scale it - both internal and externally - introduce projects and contribute more.
  2. Donā€™t know how to get started on design in OSS (Zara has been showing people how to find work to work on.)
  3. Build on guiding and mentoring processes and resources.
  4. Build on how orgs can begin to support product design and lack of understanding and support.
  5. Start a resource around how OSS works including git, github and gitlab.
  6. Build a list of how designers can access OSS orgs via typical comms channels.
  7. Help guides for designers who canā€™t find projects and issues, perhaps through building an OVIO list and widget.

Taiga board issue here

or / and

Many of the Design & UX working group wanted to talk about: 3. We all want to talk about IP in OSS when projects close out and want to move.

Please also not thereā€™s a section in the doc now where you can add any updates to ongoing WG tasks under a section titled ā€™ Updates on WIP and requests for support!ā€™

Where are we meeting today? Are we starting with meet.coop?

We are meeting back at our usual zoom: Launch Meeting - Zoom

I prepped the agenda doc for next Sustain UX & Design working group meeting on the 8th of July! see here: SustainOSS UX & Design Working Group - Google Docs

1. We need a volunteer to do a 15 min demo of something they do in design & open source e.g. last time Eriol did a mini demo about how they do onboarding and design circle calls for designers in the open source projects they work on.

2. We should think about what conversation or collaborative work we want to work on in the meeting.

3. We need to get podcast guests for SOSdesign! https://sosdesign.sustainoss.org/

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the agenda doc for next weekā€™s meeting @Erioldoesdesign!

• I can volunteer and demo the work Iā€™ve been doing to open up the design of opencollective.com, hopefully, this year :crossed_fingers:t3:
  • Regarding that demo, I can also think of an activity that helps us get some insights and at the same time provide something valuable to the assistants.

If itā€™s ok, I can update the document this week so folks can know what to expect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for hosting today @Memo_Es :heart: It was so good to hear about the work thatā€™s gone into how the Open Collective team are approaching open design and open source design :smiley:

So the notes are updated in our collaborative doc here

Iā€™ve also prepped next months template meeting so please scroll past that for todayā€™s notes!

I personally would love to spend some time next month on this topic:

"Create a resource around how to help an OSS org scale design understanding - both internally (within contributors and users) and externally (non-users)."

My self and Abigail Makolo had done a workshop for ā€˜maintainers and developersā€™ at All things open 2020 (See the miro workboard here)

And Justin had thoughts and insights from the resource they have been building at UNICEF: https://unicef.github.io/inventory/design/

I think we can have a good conversation and perhaps think about what kind of resource would work here? Perhaps a series of videos? Activities? further workshops? Async workshop like ā€˜activitiesā€™?

But of course, if folx want to talk about another topic thatā€™s cool!

We also need two volunteers for the August meeting :sunglasses:

1. Volunteer to lead the meeting
  2. Volunteer to give a 15 min recorded demo or quick show and tell about some design + OSS practice (previously Eriol did one about onboarding designers to OSS projects and meeting structures and Memo took us through the Open Collective ā€˜open organismā€™ document that drives design forward in the OSS org.
1 Like

Hey folks! working group meeting is today at 16.00 BST UK time!

rough agenda here: SustainOSS UX & Design Working Group - Google Docs

Zoom room here:Launch Meeting - Zoom

1 Like

Heads up for anyone who wants to join the next Sustain OSS Design & UX working group our focus for the meeting will be:

Create a resource around how to help an OSS org scale design understanding - both internally (within contributors and users) and externally (non users).

Suggested structure

• Can we discuss what our impressions of OSS design understanding is right now?
  • Can we discuss how design is typically measured outside of OSS? Can this be applied to OSS?
  • How might we gather some insight on the design understanding of OSS orgs? Papers? Surveys? Conversations? Anec-data?
  • Can we agree amongst ourselves where we, as designers in OSS might want design understanding to be at for OSS?
  • Any other suggestions!

The day and time is: Thursday September 9th, 2021 at 16.00 UK time // 17.00 EU time // 11.00 ET

1 Like

Awesome! Wish I could make it - Iā€™ll be in flight at the time. Hope it goes well.

For those of you trying to make the meeting which is happening now weā€™ve had to move from Zoom to Jitsi Meet

hey there Sustain Design & UX WG folks!

So there are a series of conversations and topics scaling from small consensus agreements to larger topics but I would like to know what we would prefer:

1. A new discourse forum post/topic for each decision but with ā€˜Design & UX working groupā€™ at the start e.g. ā€™ ā€™Design & UX working group - Shall we use the inventory repo for resources on OSS org design scalingā€™

2. Or use this thread for each topic and spread them out over time?

3. Keep it in the google doc: SustainOSS UX & Design Working Group - Google Docs in comments etc.

Pros and cons to each method but keen to know whatā€™s good!

1 Like

Thanks Eriol. I think having separate threads makes the most sense to me. I canā€™t think of a benefit of having different discussions in one-thread, when itā€™s so easy to switch. Google also works, but I donā€™t think it will on its own.

Regarding todayā€™s UX reading group: Eriol canā€™t make it, and I havenā€™t read the material (and Iā€™m not sure what it is, having missed the last one). Shall we schedule another time for the reading group? Was anyone planning on going? I feel that I should be less involved, as I havenā€™t allocated the mental resources to focus on reading about design.

1 Like

So there was one request for slack threads and one for threads here on the discourse forum and Iā€™d be happy to make sure they get x-posted and this forum remains the public ā€˜source of truthā€™.

re. reading group I really didnā€™t like Tragic Design so I ended up giving it away after reading 1 more chapter :grimacing: apologies! but Iā€™m still keen on some kind of reading group but it might not be the kind of group where we all read the same book/article etc. but perhaps we read different things and share knowledge?

1 Like

Proposed in the slack channel to move our monthly meetings to same time (17.00 UTC) on second Tuesday of every month instead of the second Thursday every month

https://opencollective.slack.com/archives/C011CK7EEJJ/p1632938082026200