Design & UX working group

Hi all! I have a meeting conflict next week that runs halfway through our meeting slot. I will aim to join about halfway in. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. Iā€™ll endeavor to have notes go out during and afterwards to those who canā€™t make it.

1 Like

@erioldoesdesign do we want to announce this on the Open Source Design community, somehow?

1 Like

yup I can post it on OSDā€™s discourse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this is the place where you collect design resources, but I will take the opportunity to post some stuff from our Humane Design category:

1 Like

This is certainly the place! Those look like great resources.

Our UX working group is mostly focused on the podcast and on some of our deliverables from the Taiga board we use. Youā€™re welcome to join our next WG meeting; itā€™s Thursday at 11:00am EST. Let me know if you want an invite. :slight_smile:

Another working group today, yaā€™ll! 11:00am EST - see the Sustain Calendar for details. We have such an awesome group of designers and developers who comes to this WG; if youā€™ve not come yet, and youā€™re interested in open source design, I encourage it.

This weekā€™s session may be a bit sparse due to Mozfest, but I hope to cover the Kanban board and some more topics, including our podcast planning.

I no longer have a Google account (Hereā€™s why). Is there another way to view the calendar?

You can also reach out to the bottom liner which currently is Georgia to get an invite via your email address:

Stated at the bottom of this page:

How to get involved

This working group is meeting monthly around the 3rd or 4th week of the month. Reach out to Georgia (@georgiamoon) if youā€™d like to join the calls! Join the discussion on the Sustain Disourse.

Thanks, Eriol. Georgia is overloaded this week due to Mozfest. Reach out to me and Iā€™ll make sure you have a link!

Arnold - I hope you can make it.

just letting you know Iā€™m throwing in my hat as well. Iā€™ve recently given a talk asking if FOSS and UX are incompatible #FOSSBack: Scott Jenson - Why is UX so hard to contribute to FOSS - YouTube

Iā€™ve also been on Twitter discussing this talk getting into some very detailed and interesting conversations. This has lead me to help out Gnome a bit which has been an eye opening experience. Iā€™m finding the async text messaging and the lack of much UX experience to be a potent combination. Everyone is nice, everyone is reasonable, itā€™s just that ā€œgetting on the same pageā€ just feels so darn hard.

I get it, Iā€™ve been in this industry long enough to understand you need to bite your tongue and keep asking questions to gain a teams trust. There is just something about FOSS that feels like Iā€™ve got one hand tied behind my back.

Iā€™m NOT giving up! Iā€™m just sharing my thoughts, hoping for some advice that might help me pace myself and have a that extra bit of patience needed to help the team solve their issue.

2 Likes

Hey Scott! weā€™d love to have you along to the next Sustain Design & UX meeting if youā€™re keen to chat about this more and start to think about what kind of documents beyond your talk could be built and distributed through the sustain community. Thereā€™s certainly a need for more accounts of these experiences and how they could potentially be combatted.

Next Sustain Design & UX meeting is Thursday the 8th of April at 16.00 GMT (so the morning in North Americas). I think @RichardLitt can add you to the calendar if youā€™re keen?

1 Like

Yes, weā€™ve talked. Please feel free to invite me. My personal email is scott@jenson.org

1 Like

Done, I believe! This event is also on the Sustain WG Calendar.

1 Like

The working group meeting is later today at 16.00 GMT time!

Notes doc here: SustainOSS UX & Design Working Group - Google Docs

Just wanted to share spontaneous appreciation for @Erioldoesdesign in helping drive and facilitate our WG meetings thus far. We never discussed leadership roles or facilitation or anything, Eriol stepped up to do it and I have been grateful for it. Looking forward for ways we can distribute the load more equitably and help each other out!

We have good conversations, itā€™s why I keep showing up. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey folks!

So our next Sustain Design & UX meeting is on Thursday 13th of May at 16.00 GMT UK time and Iā€™ve noticed a request from @brownie to speak in-depth about the topic of:

OSCA - supporting designing into contributions

As per the request in the last session, letā€™s really spend the time diving into this topic and find out what the working group can support or wants to support going forward.

If I can ask everyone who may have done any async actions since the last meeting to pop them in the agenda doc async thatā€™d be great, that way we can keep an eye on stuff thatā€™s being done that might go under the radar and also requests for any support!

Hereā€™s our agenda doc again:

1 Like

Thanks for thie Eriol. Happy to help with this. Does this refer to FOSS contributions in general, or more targeted to things like job postings on the site?

I should have more clearly explained! OSCA stands for Open Source Community Africa (oscafrica.org) so weā€™ll be talking specifically about supporting designer contributors within this context.

Youā€™re very welcome to join to discuss though!

2 Likes

Weā€™re here if anyone is joining this meeting: Cambiado: Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 989 9970 2615 Passcode: 497647

@brownie and @Peace_Ojemeh we were gonna talk about OSCA

1 Like