Diversity Equity and Inclusion WG: Reboot

Hey everyone,

After much deliberation and input received from others in our meetings and this discussion topic, I want to get the DEI Working Group up and running again. There are a few things I would initially like to look into scoping out work for:

Developing resources, templates, and guides on DEI best practices that can be easily shared with FOSS communities Outlining ways open source communities can apply DEI principles in practice to foster community health in FOSS Spotlighting DEI initiatives and strategies and how open-source leaders can leverage them

I understand that previously, there have been efforts led by @eximious, @Leah Silen, @Shurui Zhou, @jdorfman in this WG, and I think we can continue this work with more hands on deck. Interested members who are keen on this subject are welcome to share their thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on reviving this WG.

To kick off, I would like to propose our first meeting. How does next week’s Friday, October 27th, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) sound to everyone?

6 Likes

Thank you, Anita. I may be able to make that time, but I am unsure at the moment, as I have a conference I am attending remotely on that day.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

Friday, October 27th, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) works for me :smiley:, and I would love to attend. Currently, I’m involved with the DEI team on Fedora, which is why I would like to join forces. :tada:

1 Like

That is awesome, Jona.

I would love to join forces on this. I’m looking forward to this.

1 Like

Hey everyone

This is a reminder that our first meeting will take place tomorrow, Friday, October 27th, 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET)

I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Here is the agenda and notes: Sustain Together Discussions - Google Docs .

• The meeting link is in the agenda
  • Feel free to add your topics.
2 Likes

@Anita_Ihuman , the notes say the next meeting is on the 29th.

Would you mind if I correct them?

2 Likes

Sure. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Here’s a summary of our meeting from Friday,

The main topic was getting to know ourselves and getting things running again.

During this call, we had a chance to walk through The DEI WG planning doc(Feel free to drop your thoughts):

Here are the key takeaways:

• We should start collaborating with the existing community from the beginning by getting to know how the DEI WG could best support them.
  • Identify systemic things in open source, around DEI that we could address as a group.
  • A common challenge with putting out resources on DEI is that they are rarely easy to implement and result in situational challenges and organizational resistance.
  • How can we understand the entire ecosystem of open source and existing organizations?
  • We should redefine our goals to suit the needs of open source communities.
  • Our goals should also include Disability needs

Action Items:

• Put out a call for support, need, or interest to OSS communities to indicate that this DEI WG is up and running and we are open to collaborate

You can refer to the meeting notes for the full discussions - Thanks to Richards!: Sustain DEI WG Discussions

Additional feedback on these discussions are also welcome. If you have any comments/questions/remarks, please feel free to add them to the document.

Attendees: @RichardLitt, @Anita_Ihuman @jonatoni @Anna_Ayoung-Stoute @gunner @jdorfman @ShaneCurcuru

Next Call: Friday, November 10th, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET)

3 Likes

Our Bi-weekly meetings will hold this week. :loudspeaker: Join us this Friday 10th at 12:00 PM ET!

Let’s discuss Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in open source.

I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Here is the agenda and notes: Sustain Together Discussions - Google Docs .

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

This is just a reminder that our Bi-weekly meeting holds today. I look forward to seeing some of you there! Here is the agenda and notes: Sustain Together Discussions - Google Docs .

Hi @Anita_Ihuman ! It is a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile: I am involved with the Apache Foundation Diversity project and would like to participate :slight_smile: We are putting some efforts in the diversity project and would be a pleasure to joining the discussions here. Thanks!

2 Likes

Apologies - I won’t be able to make it this week, but glad Glaucia’s signed up! We recently found some new energy working on DEI topics at the ASF, so I’m hoping someday there will be more collaborations there as well.

This list is focused specifically on ways to help ASF projects, but others are free to join or post useful notices on our publicly archived list too.

https://lists.apache.org/thread/cb7d6ht163z4fwt39ggmbq954oftmg38

1 Like

Awesome,

Nice to meet you, Glaucia You can join the call through the link in this Sustain DEI Discussions - Google Docs

Very excited to see this WG picking back up!

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

This is just a reminder that our Bi-weekly meeting holds today. I look forward to seeing you there!

1 Like

Hey all, I had an urgent meeting at my job and couldn’t attend today. I will be waiting for the meeting notes to know our next steps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

This is just a gentle reminder of our meeting today, Friday, 16:00 pm UTC.

Also, this might be our last meeting before the year ends. I would like us to discuss how we hope to approach our goals for next year.

• If you have any topic you would like us to discuss, add it to the minutes here
  • You can join the call through the link in the meeting notes
  • We now have a link you can use to subscribe to our meetings

See you there.

Best regards.

1 Like

I’m traveling so I won’t be able to join the meeting today. :frowning_face: But I will check the meeting notes later and join the next meeting.

That is fine, Jona. Safe travels

1 Like